Monday, May 30, 2011

Public Speaking and S.I.R

Angah has been very busy since the school started ...his activities include football, bowling, public speaking, Scouts, and even a study group....He's only standard five, but being as anxious as he is --about UPSR perhaps--- he just need to form a study group this year.





One of the highlights this year, was when he was chosen to represent his school for public speaking in a competition between schools in Kuantan.He told me, i think the day before the competition and I was like, "betul ke ni?"--with that question, i offered him a few bucks if he placed himself first to third place. To my surprise, he got 2nd place and that entitled him to the next round. He failed to pursue the next level , but I think that is remarkable for a first timer and given the lack of practice.

Then last month, he representing the school in Spell It Right. There were about 8-10 students in each group in the initial round of the competition. The initial round went on until they can announce a single winner. For his group finally, there were Angah and another boy competing with each other and it was like an endless sport. At the end, unfortunately Angah lost to the boy. It is comforting to say that the other contestant got a few easy words to spell, but personally I think Angah was not ready for the competition. So I told him, he should equip himself for next year. Angah is someone with very high winning spirit in him, he plays to win..I think even the judges including Wan Zaleha herself realised taht and she even mentioned hoping to see him again next year! Knowing his faith was ended there in the first round, he did shed some tears and I did too!

No comments: